questions on exercises and slides

questions on exercises and slides

by Lingjing Kong -
Number of replies: 0

Dear TAs,

Sorry to bother you with a few problems related to lecture slides and exercises:

1. Lecture slides 5 with comments, pp21, i wonder why the saddle always sits on the distance 0 point? Is it correct that saddles may appear on the connected path between two permutation minima more than once?

2. Lecture slides 5 with comments, pp22, could you explain a bit about the connected saddles? and why does the comment say that the saddle between two permutation minima is the lowest barrier?

3. In lecture 11, it repeatedly says that the eligibility trace allows the model to update asynchronously. i don't get why the model w/o eligibility traces (reinforcement with baseline) cannot operate asynchronously?

4. In exercise week 6, Exercise 2. a.  i wonder if there is a typo in the solution, the x_t and x_{t-1} should be x_2 and x_1 respectively? because here we are using the assumption that only x_2 and x_1 are non-zero. 

5. In exercise week 4, Exercise 2, c. ii). i don't get why the solution says that if x_a was chosen from c1, it would cause the following point to be assigned with the opposite class label. i think the 'a' for the next point would be always negative.

Thank you in advance!