Questions Quizz 2018

Questions Quizz 2018

by Olivier Cloux -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

For question 5.2 of last year's quizz, I don't understand why T4 is not crossed (apparently, 78% of last year's students also didn't ^^).

In slide 13 of PoS Tagging lecture, limited scope for syntactic dependencies at k neighbours, is stated as dependent, for T_i, on tags T_{i-k} \to T_{i-1}. Why is T_{i+1} also a dependence ? This does not seem to fit the Markov assumption...

Best

O. Cloux

(p.s. feel free to put your 2018 questions below to keep them grouped)

In reply to Olivier Cloux

Re: Questions Quizz 2018

by Jean-Cédric Chappelier -

It does! This is what I mentioned several times and very precisely when emphasizing the backward part of the Viterbi algorithm, but I know it's tricky (carefully look what the question is about): do not confuse what is computed with the way it is parametrized: it's not because we parametrize P(T_1,...,T_n) with P(T_i|T_{i-1}) that we are not maximizing P(T_1,...,T_n).

More precisely w.r.t. that very question: if you want the formal proof in this very case: P(T_3|T_1 T_2 T_4) = P(T_1 T_2 T_3 T_4) / P(T_1 T_2 T_4) = P(T_1) P(T_2 | T_1) P(T_3 | T_2) P(T_4|T_3) / \sum_t P(T_1) P(T_2 | T_1) P(t | T_2) P(T_4|t) = P(T_1) P(T_2 | T_1) P(T_3 | T_2) P(T_4|T_3) /  (P(T_1) P(T_2 | T_1) \sum_t P(t | T_2) P(T_4|t)) = P(T_3 | T_2) P(T_4|T_3) /  \sum_t P(t | T_2) P(T_4|t)) = P(T_3 | T_2) P(T_4|T_3 T_2) /  \sum_t P(t | T_2) P(T_4|t T_2)) = P(T_3 T_4| T_2) /  \sum_t P(t T_4| T_2) = P(T_3 T_4| T_2) /  P(T_4| T_2) = P(T_3| T_2 T_4). QED 

But pay attention to what is referred to: parameters, not considered altogether, I mean, not when talking about the global proba P(T_1,...,T_n) are indeed only left to right : P(T_i|T_{i-1}); but as soon as it's about the whole (global) proba, there is no "left-to-right biais" anymore, only the global proba is under consideration.
I hope it makes sense....