Lab 6 running OSPF (Q5-6): h5 can't ping other hosts

Lab 6 running OSPF (Q5-6): h5 can't ping other hosts

by Ekaterina Goltsova -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I am trying to do Section 5 of lab 6. As instructed, I restored R1 and R2 as BGP peers and redistributed BGP into OSPF in R3 and R4. Now even though BGP isn't running on R5, it knows about R1 and R2 (and can ping all hosts and routers in the entire network). However, from h5 I can't ping R1/H1 or R2/H2. Is this a normal behaviour? If not, how can I debug it, and if yes, why?

In reply to Ekaterina Goltsova

Re: Lab 6 running OSPF (Q5-6): h5 can't ping other hosts

by Jagdish Prasad Achara -

Hi,

As you redistributed BGP into OSPF at R3 and R4, and R3, R4, and R5 are all running OSPF, all the routers in AS 65345 know about all external routes learned from BGP. From R5, you can ping all the hosts because, as I said above, R5 knows all the external subnets from BGP and the network connecting R3, R4, and R5 are advertised by R3 and R4 to their BGP peers (R1 and R2 respectively). However, the network R5-h5 is not known externally (as we don't redistribute ospf into bgp and we don't manually advertise this network on R3 and R4) and therefore, ping reply doesn't find its way back to R5. So, yes, it is the normal behavior and I hope my above explanation makes sense to you. Please let us know if you still have any doubts.

Thanks,

Jagdish

In reply to Jagdish Prasad Achara

Re: Lab 6 running OSPF (Q5-6): h5 can't ping other hosts

by Ekaterina Goltsova -

Makes perfect sense, thank you! I forgot to think about replies and was only considering ping-requests.