Miniproject 1.1.4 : Complex Voltages?

Miniproject 1.1.4 : Complex Voltages?

by Richie Yat Tsai Wan -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

After solving the equations to find a0, u_rest, u_crit, I find values containing an imaginary part for u_rest and u_crit. What do I do with it? Should I discard it and only take the real part, or take the module of the whole number?

In reply to Richie Yat Tsai Wan

Re: Miniproject 1.1.4 : Complex Voltages?

by Théophile Nicolas Joseph Bouiller -

Hey, I had the same problem at some point, but u_rest and u_c actually are real numbers, no need for complex parts. Did you separate u_rest from the exponential model and from the quadratic model ? Those two are different and should not be considered as equal in the equations. I did this mistake which led me to a solution with imaginary numbers. I figure that this might be your problem as well. If you make the distinction for the u_rest of the two models, the equations are much simpler.

In reply to Théophile Nicolas Joseph Bouiller

by Richie Yat Tsai Wan -

Thanks. I forgot to separate the Urest and took both as being the same which gives me an imaginary part. Nonetheless, being a 2nd degree equation for Urest, I still get two roots (+/-), how did you figure which one to take? Or should I only take the + root by default?

In reply to Richie Yat Tsai Wan

by Théophile Nicolas Joseph Bouiller -

I don't really know, I took the positive root + so that u_rest would be the rheobase threshold subtracted by the root, and u_crit would be rheobase added to that root. If it were the other way around u_rest would be higher than the rheobase threshold and that somewhat doesn't make sense to me.

In reply to Théophile Nicolas Joseph Bouiller

by Felix Hans Michel Grimberg -
Here's my take on why we choose u_rest < threshold_rheobase:
From the equation of the quadratic IF neuron, you see that u_rest and u_crit are interchangeable. We just call the smaller of the two u_rest and the larger of the two u_crit because of the resulting dynamics. So yes, we choose u_rest < threshold_rheobase < u_crit :)