Exceptional graded theory exercise on epidemics

Exceptional graded theory exercise on epidemics

by Valentin Marc Schmutz -
Number of replies: 8

Dear students,

Under week 23 March - 29 March (Lecture 6), you will find a graded theory exercise. Prof. Gerstner and the TAs believe that this exercise can help you develop some mathematical intuition for why it is crucial to "stay at home".

Submission of this graded theory exercise is due 8 April 2020 before 23.55.

Please fill in the exercise sheet and submit a scan of your answers as one PDF file. If you don't have a scanner at home, there are many Apps allowing you to "scan" documents with your smartphone camera.

This graded exercise is part of Graded Exercise 2 (Miniproject 2) which also contains a coding part (which will be announced shortly and will be due later). This theory exercise counts for 1/5 of the grade of Graded Exercise 2.

We hope you will find this exercise instructive.

The TAs

In reply to Valentin Marc Schmutz

Re: Exceptional graded theory exercise on epidemics

by Richie Yat Tsai Wan -

Dear Professor and assistants,

For the submission of this graded exercise, do you want us to print out the exercise sheet and fill in only the answer ? (Meaning you won't be able to see most of the calculations as there isn't enough space) or do you want us to submit our "Draft" which contains all the answers as well as the calculations, or both?

In reply to Richie Yat Tsai Wan

Dear Richie,

Please only submit your answers on the exercise sheet. "Drafts" will be ignored.

Best,

Valentin

by Felix Hans Michel Grimberg -

I don't have a printer at home, so I just solved and answered the exercises on a sheet of paper (already on Monday). I highlighted the answers for your convenience. I hope that will do. Pease do not ignore my submission!

In reply to Felix Hans Michel Grimberg

This is OK.

If a student does not have a printer at home. He can submit handwritten answers. Answers have to be highlighted and numbered as in the exercise sheet.

by Inès De Riedmatten -

Hello !

Does this mean that the phase plane should be handmade ? Or can we do it with jupyter ?

Best,

Inès

In reply to Inès De Riedmatten

by Wulfram Gerstner -

yes, you put in your answers by hand. Just like in a written exam.

by Nicolà Andreas Gantenbein -

Hi

I guess in exercise (n) of the graded exercise is a typo and we should scetch it for 1/R_0 = 0.8, rather then R_0 = 0.8?

Thanks for an answer,

Nicolà