[Lab 2] no gmon.out file and other issue

[Lab 2] no gmon.out file and other issue

by Loïc Karl Droz -
Number of replies: 2

Good morning,

We are trying to use GNU profiler using the instructions provided in the Altera tutorial (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an391.pdf) and the previous Moodle discussion (https://moodlearchive.epfl.ch/2019-2020/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=32732), but no gmon.out file is generated.

We have instantiated and connected a Timer IP in Qsys. We have edited the BSP editor following the instructions in the Moodle post to use the same Timer IP and GNU profiler and then generated it. We have checked and can confirm the -pg compilation does appear in the commands used by Eclipse to compile the project. We have tried both running the programming through eclipse, and through the terminal in Nios II Command Shell using the command provided in the Moodle post above.

Lastly, we have noticed a degradation of performance when using GNU profiler, so something does change in the execution when enabling GNU profiler. Does anyone know what we could have missed?

Another issue is that, as of this morning, running any program on the board either in debug or normal mode does not work anymore. We get no output in the console and the debugger always indicates the program as "running". We have tried restarting Eclipse, reprogramming the board using the Quartus programmer, restarting Quartus before reprogramming, restarting the board before reprogramming, restarting the VM, but to no avail. As such, we cannot solve the first issue before this one is solved. Did anyone have the same issue?

Regards,

Loïc & Alexandre

In reply to Loïc Karl Droz

Re: [Lab 2] no gmon.out file and other issue

by Sylvain Jean-Roger Migaud -

I guess you noticed and it's not your main issue now but anyway, when you're using the profiler, if you are using Sahand's command line, the "gmon_0.out" file is replaced by a "report_0.txt".

Also, I had some issue getting this file, i found that it helps to kill the command (Ctrl + C) when it's hanging more than 30 seconds and try again, eventually it worked for me.

Good luck,

Sylvain

In reply to Sylvain Jean-Roger Migaud

Re: [Lab 2] no gmon.out file and other issue

by Loïc Karl Droz -

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes, I noticed and searched for this file as well when using Sahand's command line. Unfortunately I couldn't find it either.

I will try your solution.

Regards,

Loïc