Error (12006): Node instance "dma_in_0" instantiates undefined entity "new_component".

Error (12006): Node instance "dma_in_0" instantiates undefined entity "new_component".

by Jon Märki -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I've got this error in my quartus compilation, I have no clue where that "new_component" comes from. I reckon it's the placeholder text whenever you create a new custom IP component but I've changed it and even re-created a whole project with only the relevant files. 

Looking into the file this appears : 

Thank you for your help

Jon

In reply to Jon Märki

Re: Error (12006): Node instance "dma_in_0" instantiates undefined entity "new_component".

by Jon Märki -

So I didn't explain some things, my apologies

The file is generated during compilation so I can't modify it. 

Here are the relevent parts of the IP component creation in qsys :

In reply to Jon Märki

Re: Error (12006): Node instance "dma_in_0" instantiates undefined entity "new_component".

by Sahand Kashani-Akhavan -

This "new_component" issue happens sometimes in Qsys, no idea why. You can fix it by closing quartus and qsys, then using a text editor to modify the "_hw.tcl" file that qsys uses to describe your component.

If your component is called "dma_in", you probably have a "dma_in_hw.tcl" file in your quartus project directory. Open it in a text editor and look for the "new_component" string in there. You can then modify it with the name "dma_in". Hopefully that should fix it.

In reply to Sahand Kashani-Akhavan

by Sahand Kashani-Akhavan -

By the way, this tip may come in handy for any project you do: When you see a message and you have no idea where it comes from, then try to recursively search through all files starting from the root directory of your project for some of the words you're seeing.

In linux you can use the "grep" command for this and do a recursive search through

grep -R "pattern" "root_dir"

You often won't find the full word/phrase you are looking for, but there's a high chance you'll find individual words that can lead you to what you need to find.