Problem with ping6/IPV6

Problem with ping6/IPV6

by Karan Pathak -
Number of replies: 5

I am not able to run ping6 command on VM. It shows Network is unreachable. I have enabled IPV6.

In reply to Karan Pathak

Re: Problem with ping6/IPV6

by Xinran Tao -
Yeah, I have the same problem. I borrowed a MINIX from the lab and connected that to my WiFi at home. I first tried connecting it to the EPFL VPN but ping6 still didn't work. Then I tried configuring the IPv6 address of my wlan0 by doing the following:
1. I entered "ip addr" in my terminal and under "wlan0" the "inet6" column started with "fe80" which means that IPv6 was enabled but the dynamic assignment of IPv6 was not.
2. I followed this link https://support.huaweicloud.com/intl/en-us/usermanual-ecs/ecs_03_0508.html and tried to assign a dynamic IPv6 address to wlan0 but none of the methods worked.

May I please ask how I can resolve the issue? Thank you very much for your answer.
In reply to Xinran Tao

by Emi Sakamoto -
Hello,
Did you reboot the machine after enabling IPv6? Also, it is better if you also reboot your own machine.
Note that the ping6 and traceroute for Ipv6 command on VirtualBox is sometimes unstable. Therefore, if the issue is still there, you can do this question directly on your host machine assuming you have IPv6 connectivity (for example you are connected to EPFL wifi on the campus and not through VPN).

(Edited by Stéphan Plassart - original submission Monday, 26 September 2022, 09:56)

In reply to Emi Sakamoto

by Xinran Tao -
Dear Emi,

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I did reboot the machine multiple times and I ran ping6 on the machine itself instead of the VM. Sadly, it still did not work.

May I please ask will the lab be open at any time before the deadline? Because if I were to use the MINIX (for EPFL WiFi connection), I will have to use the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Kind regards,
Paulina Tao
In reply to Xinran Tao

by Emi Sakamoto -
Dear Paulina,

Maybe you don't have an IPv6 connectivity.
You should have access to the room INF019 with your CAMIPRO card, so you can go there anytime you want.

Best,
Emi
In reply to Karan Pathak

by Stéphan Plassart -
Dear Karan,

To run ping6 command, you should have IPv6 connectivity, even if you use it on the VM. If you do not have access to such connectivity at home, you can use the EPFL Wifi on the EPFL campus.

Best regards,

Stéphan.