Lectire BGP: redistribution of BGP into IGP (P.42&43 of bgpSols.pdf)

Lectire BGP: redistribution of BGP into IGP (P.42&43 of bgpSols.pdf)

by Xianjie Dai -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I have a question about redistribution of BGP into IGP (P.42&43 of bgpSols.pdf). "Only routes learnt by E-BGP are redistributed into IGP." I am wondering what is the correct meaning of this sentence. Does it mean that: 

1. every route learnt from E-BGP will be redistrbuted into IGP 

2. or only the best route (of a border BGP router) learnt from E-BGP will be redistrbuted into IGP?

According to the example of P.43, the route leant by R6 from R5 is redistributed into IGP after being advertised via I-BGP and E-BGP. It seems my first understanding is correct. 

However, there is a question, Question 5 of Problem 2, about this topic from final 2021(Exam2021.pdf). The answer says "the prefix 2614 : 9fca : 1f7c :: /48 is redistributed into OSPF by V4 and V2 with distance 21." If the first understanding is correct, then there should be routes reidistributed by V3 and V5 because they also have routes leant by E-BGP from R3 and R4. The only possible explanation is that the best routes of V3 and V5 are learnt by I-BGP (shortest AS-PATH) and they are not redistributed into IGP, which means the second understanding is correct.

Could you explain which one is correct and why the answer didn't mention V3 and V5?

Best,

Xianjie

In reply to Xianjie Dai

Re: Lectire BGP: redistribution of BGP into IGP (P.42&43 of bgpSols.pdf)

by Plouton Grammatikos -
Hello,
Only the best route will be redistributed into OSPF. In the example of the slides, the route learned by R6 from R5 is the best one, so it will be redistributed into OSPF. In the exam of 2021, the best route at V5, for example, will have next-hop router V4. This means that if V5 needs to send a packet to the prefix 2614 : 9fca : 1f7c :: /48, the packet will go through V4. Therefore V5 will not redistribute into OSPF the route learned from R4. Otherwise, OSPF could choose either route towards the network in question.

I hope the explanation was helpful.

Best,
Plouton
In reply to Plouton Grammatikos

Re: Lectire BGP: redistribution of BGP into IGP (P.42&43 of bgpSols.pdf)

by Xianjie Dai -
It's very helpful. Thanks for the reply!.

Best,
Xianjie