Lab 3 - Part 3

Lab 3 - Part 3

by Maxime Christian Daniel Emschwiller -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

In the lab 3 part 3, I don't understand if we should

test which server (IPv4 or IPv6) is activated and then send packets to the activated server only

test which server (IPv4 or IPv6) is activated and then send packets to both server (but then why have we tested ?)

not test anything and send packets to both server

Also, I got results that gave me a 100% score in the quizz but I pass only 4/12 tests. Is there an obvious thing that could explain it ?

Thank you in advance,

In reply to Maxime Christian Daniel Emschwiller

Re: Lab 3 - Part 3

by Alaeddine El Fawal -

Hello,

Actually, the server is alternating between IPv4 and IPv6, so if you test and get that IPv4 server is activated, while sending the packets to this server, this latter might switch to IPv6 and thus your packets will be dropped because the IPv4 server is not activated anymore.

So, I suggest you the following approach:

-        Every time you send a packet, you send to both servers (one to each).

-        The activated one will answer your request.

-        Both are implementing the same drop probability, so finding this probability does not depend on the type of the running server.

-        To compute the average number of retransmissions before getting an answer from the server, each time you send a packet to both servers counts as one.

As to your question: “Also, I got results that gave me a 100% score in the quiz but I pass only 4/12 tests. Is there an obvious thing that could explain it ?”, I did not understand it. Which quiz do you mean? And what do you mean by test?

Best,

Alaeddine