Regarding the Twitter API

Regarding the Twitter API

by Lakmal Buddika Meegahapola -
Number of replies: 1

Dear All, 

During this week, I got several emails about the Twitter API. So thought of sharing the following details with you all. 

1. So there are few versions of the Twitter API. The original version is called Twitter API. We talked about this API in class. The code I gave is working for Twitter API. There is a new version called Twitter API v2 (more on that here
). The code I gave does not work with the Twitter API v2.

2. When you generated access codes in the Twitter developer portal, access codes will work with Twitter API v2 without an issue by default. But for that, you need to follow some tutorials and write a new code. Some tutorials are given here

3. To make the code I provided work with the access codes you get by default, you need to request additional permission from twitter inside the developer portal. We talked about this aspect during the class, and this process might take some time. The process might be easier if you use an EPFL email address to login into the developer portal. For example, you need to apply for Elevated or Academic Research access to use the standard version of the API with Twitter API. More on that here.

4. So as a summary, there are two solutions: 
  1. If you decide to go with Twitter API v2: write your own code and make it work using the tutorials given above or here. There are more tutorials about this on the internet. 
  2. If you decide to go with Twitter API: request elevated or academic research access in the developer portal. Using the EPFL email address for the Twitter account would help in this case. Many students did this last year. Then you can use the code I provided without an issue.

Please feel free to send me an email if you face any other issues. 

Kind Regards,
Lakmal

In reply to Lakmal Buddika Meegahapola

Re: Regarding the Twitter API

by Lakmal Buddika Meegahapola -
Dear All,

A few students are still facing some issues with the Twitter API. If anyone has got it working (either the elevated or academic research access), please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Lakmal